- Clarifies employer expectations; provides basis of measuring job performance and a clear description of roles and responsibilities.
- Provides a structure and discipline for an organisation to arrange all jobs and ensure necessary activities and responsibilities are covered.
- Provides continuity of role parameters irrespective of manager interpretation.
- Enables pay and grading systems to be structured fairly and logically.
- Prevents arbitrary interpretation of role content by employee and employer and manager.
- Essential reference tool in issues of employee/employer dispute or for discipline issues.
- Provides important reference points for training and development.
- Provides neutral and objective (as opposed to subjective or arbitrary) reference points for appraisals, performance reviews and counselling.
- Enables organisation to structure and manage roles in a uniform way, thus increasing efficiency and effectiveness of recruitment, training and development, organisational structure, work flow and activities, customer service, etc.